Sunday, April 5, 2009

Scorpion stings, leaf-cutter ants, and contented cows

18 February 2009

About 2.5 h ago, just after lunch (and just before our afternoon walk), I was stung, twice, by a scorpion. I was changing pants and the beast apparently had crawled inside the ones I changed into. (These pants were on a top shelf of an open closet area.) The sting felt like a sharp pin prick. By the second one, both on my left hip, the pants were on the ground. I shook out the scorpion and he paid for the stings with his life. Apparently for scorpions that are poisonous, the venom can take up to 4-5 h to take effect. But I’ve had no symptoms, so I think I’ll be fine. (Even the site of the sting is only a little tender and not swollen. The effect seems so far to have been less than a bee sting.)

We went out for our walk anyway, and found a nice road off the main one in the Monteverde direction. The traffic dropped to zero and the setting was both pastoral and CR rugged. We saw leaf cutter ants; Quaker cows (Ingrid and Daniela toured the big Monteverde Cheese Factory yesterday); and nice looking farmhouses with large pastures.

We stopped for ice cream at the cheese factory on the way back home.

No comments: