Sunday, April 5, 2009

Inaugurating the D40: More "fish in a barrel"


11 March 2009

I've futzed around with my not-so-new but rarely used Nikon D40 while we've been here in Monteverde, but I feel so comfortable with the Coolpix camera that I've been reluctant to make the switch.



The work over the weekend with the hummingbirds gave me an opening. Since I was unable to do much with them with Coolpix, and since they are so photogenic, I thought it worth an effort to put the D40 into action. (Recall: The hummingbird garden is just outside the entrance to the Monteverde cloud forest reserve, which is only a bit more than 2 miles from our flat.)



The key technical development was learning how to set the ISO to a very fast “film” speed (1600 in this case). Also, the hummingbirds are incredibly tame so that even with a short lens I can get close enough (about 2 feet away) to photograph them.



I spent about a half hour there shooting. These are the best. They’ve been heavily cropped, but the resolution is still very good.

No comments: