Saturday, April 4, 2009

Is color cultural?

27 January 2009

The colors used for houses and other buildings in Costa Rica are odd to my eye, both in the absolute hues and in how they are combined.

It is interesting to consider whether there is some “absolute” sense when it comes to color, or whether all is a matter of fashion.





I set out today looking for documentation of this odd sense I have about the use of color here. I took about 15 shots of houses where either the color combination or the particular hues seemed “off” to me. These three photos illustrate, but I find that looking at the pictures doesn’t jar me in quite the same way as the reality. Hard to say why.



1 comment:

Alexis said...

I actually love these houses. I find the oddness of the colors gives them, a mostly positive, children's fantasy sort of quality.

But, like you pointed out, maybe my reaction would be different in person.