Sunday, April 5, 2009

Mas Ticas


4 February 2009

Yesterday afternoon, I began experimenting with a new technique to shoot candids on the street. I hold my camera belly high against my body while I’m walking along. As I pass an interesting subject, I pause for just a moment, half press to focus, and “click” the shot. I can do this with only a half step’s hesitation in my stride. With adequate lighting (daytime photos in the sunlight) there is no problem with camera jitter. Framing is another challenge, however. I have lots of pictures of people’s feet. But some shots are coming out quite nice. They have an “in the moment” quality that I like.



Here are a few samples of my early efforts; I’m sure there’s room for improvement.

ps: As a tall gringo, I stand out and so people have a tendency to stare at me on the street, or at least pay close attention as I walk by. This inhibits the shots I can take, because I don’t really want my subject to be aware of what I’m doing. On the other hand, as with the old woman waiting to buy vegetables, the stares I attract can sometimes be used to advantage.

No comments: