Saturday, May 29, 2010

Hong Kong — Happy Valley Racecourse


29 May 2010

Finally I have a chance to catch my breath and also catch up on a bit of blogging. Here is a sense of both how wonderfully we've been hosted and how busy I've been. We arrived eight days ago. Since then, I have only had one lunch or dinner at which I was not the guest of someone here in Hong Kong.



One of many highlights was Wednesday's dinner at the club level of the Hong Kong horse racing track at Happy Valley. We were the guests of Professor ST Tan, who heads the Mechanical Engineering Department at HKU. In all, we were about 10, mostly academics from HKU. The meal was a most-elegant buffet in a box overlooking the race track.



No, I did not try the baby octopus on sea blubber! But I did have some other much-less-exotic food that was fantastic. On Rani's standing recommendation, Ingrid bet on a gray horse in the 5th race, but it finished in the middle of the pack. A big surprise to me was how incredibly fast the horses were as they raced around the track. On TV, that speed is not revealed.



A final note: These photos were shot with Ingrid's Panasonic Lumix pocket camera. Its digital image stabilization is remarkably effective in these low-light conditions. Ingrid shot the opening photo.

No comments: